Welcome to The Bredgar & Wormshill Light Railway, a delightful 2 foot gauge line tucked away in the heart of the Kent countryside, England, near the village of Bredgar in a richly wooded area of the North Kent Downs.
The Bredgar & Wormshill Light Railway is more that just a train ride..........
- On view in the engine shed there is a whole range of steam locomotives of varying gauges, freight and carriage stock, and other railway artefacts.
- A corner of the engine shed has been built to represent a pumping station with a working Victorian Steam Driven Beam Engine.
- Not all steam powered vehicles require rails, The Bredgar & Wormshill Light Railway has a collection of steam traction engines, agricultural and a showmans.
- For our younger visitors there is the Railway Shop and a LGB model railway.
- There are walks in the woods and picnic areas, and plenty of places to just sit and watch the trains go by.
- A Tea Room where home made cakes can be enjoyed while being entertained by the music of a Dutch Street Organ.
Yes! - The Bredgar & Wormshill Light Railway is more than just a train ride.
Privately owned, and operated by a group of friends the railway came into being in the early 1970's and has since developed into to a fully operational narrow gauge railway. In the more recent years it has regularly opened to the public on the first Sunday of each month throughout the Summer.
Although of only short duration the train journey is very pleasant with an infrastructure worthy of a much larger system. The journey is from Warren Wood Station, Bredgar to Stony Shaw Station, Wormshill. Both stations have a run round loop, station building and signal box. While Warren Wood is the main station adjacent to the engine shed and workshop, Stony Shaw does have its freight sidings and goods shed. The whole scene is very picturesque and photogenic.
Our STEAM DRIVING COURSES are designed to give you as much 'hands on' experience as possible. The Course starts at 10.00am with a talk in which the basic engineering principles of a steam locomotive are explained.....more
Take a walk down the line.
The first section of track that a visitor to the Bredgar & Wormshill Light Railway sees is a road crossing across the drive down to Warren Wood.....more
The Bredgar & Wormshill Light Railway is now twinned with Le Chemin de Fer Touristique de la Vallee de l'Ouche in Burgundy, France.... more
The BBC Kent have done a short article and video about the BWLR.
Next Public Open Day
5 April 2015
Opening Dates for 2015.
- Easter Sunday 5 April
- Sunday 3 May
- Sunday 7 June
- Sunday 21 June -
- MOD Diesel Day
- Sunday 5 July
- Sunday 2 August
- Sunday 6 September
- Sunday 20 September -
- Diesel Day
- Sunday 4 October
- Sunday 1 November -
- Steam Gala
Car park opens 10:30
First Train 11:00
Last Train 16:30
Line closes 17:00
Includes parking and as many train rides as you wish.
Adults - £10
Child (4-15 yrs) - £4
Under 4 - Free.
Family Ticket - £25
(2 adults & up to 3 children)
Annual Ticket Available
To subscribe to our newsletter
go to contacts page
The BWLR 34 page Guide Book is available.
more info ...
The BWLR and You
Details of Opening Times/Dates,
Driving courses, Birthday Parties,
Private Hire, Guide Book & Calendar.
Get Adobe Reader http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/