A 0-4-0 Port Class saddle tank built by Hunslet Engine Co. Ltd., Leeds, England in
1922 (works no. 1429) Built for Dinorwic Slate Quarries Co. Ltd., Port Dinorwic, Caernarvonshire, North Wales.
Similar in style to the 'Quarry' Hunslets but fitted with a cab for shunting use at the quay side. Originally named 'No 1'.
In 1930 named 'Lady Joan' and then back to 'No 1' in 1950's.
In 1961, modified at y Gilfach Ddu workshops at Llanberis for use within quarry, included removal of cab, fitting wooden dumb buffers removal of handrail round chimney and resoration of standard chimney (a 12"taller one had been fitted at some time prior to this).
1967 to TL Barber, Flitwick, Bedfordshire. Overhauled at Gower's of Bedford, regauged to 60cm by Hunslet's, cab and sprung buffers refitted.
Then 1968, Woburn Abbey Parkland Railway, Bedfordshire,
1969, Overstone Solarium, Nr Sywell, Northants.
1971, Pleasurerail Ltd, Whipsnade Zoo, Bedfordshire.
1971, Knebworth West Park & Wintergreen Railway, Knebworth Park, Nr Stevenage, Hertfordshire. Now privately owned and kept at BWLR.
The above photograph of No.1 at work was taken by Mr. Alan Barnes of Welshpool, Powys, at Port Dinorwic on the 19 July 1961. He states that it was taken with a well used basic Kodak camera and processed at the local chemists. Apparently back then the livery was a 'dirty red'.